• AKR Capital Research -
Analyses of non-financial companies that trade on the TSE. Gives description, and a wide variety of pages that have historical financial information. Includes income statement, balance sheet, ratios and more.
• Canada NewsWire - This page contains over 40,000 news releases from Canadian companies. Users can perform a variety of searches,
including by company stock symbol or by company name. Very complete: great for getting recent news on Canada's companies.
• Carlson Online -
Recent press releases and news of Canadian companies, links to other sources of data (such as SEDAR).
• Globe Investor -
From the Globe and Mail Newspaper, this site has lots of data on publicly traded Canadian companies: brief description, three years of summary financials,
officers, address, auditor, transfer agent, website and phone.
• Investcom -
Profiles of companies from all four of the Canadian exchanges -- profiles are about a paragraph in length, describing company activities. They also have names of top officers, shares outstanding and address and other contact info.
• Investor 500 - Annual guide to the top 500 performing companies from Canadian Business Online.
• Investor Corner -
DETAILED profiles and financial statements (with ratios) for 1,000 publicly-traded Canadian companies. Data include summary financial statements going back 10 years and all sorts of ratios.
Ce website contient des profils DÉTAILLÉS et l'information financière pour 1.000 compagnies canadiennes. Les données incluent des sommaires de
relevés des compte financier des 10 années précédentes et des divers taux financiers. En anglais.
• IPO Stocks -
Details about pending and completed IPOs and secondary offerings in Canada. Provided are the name and ticker of the issuer, as well as the
date, the amount and price of the issue and the securities firm. Useful data, but I am not sure how frequently it is updated: it appeared as
if many of the "pending" transactions should
• Montreal Exchange -
Guide to the Montreal Exchange. Gives the name, address, phone and fax numbers, and quote data for all Montreal-traded stocks.
Guide de la Bourse de Montréal. Ce site fournit le nom, l'adresse, le numéro
de téléphone et le numéro de fax, et les cotes pour tous les stocks Montréal.
• Quicken Canada -
Brief profiles, summary financials, quotes, and ratio analysis of Canadian companies. Has some news, but not for every company, or even every large company (Yahoo seems to be better for news).
• SEDAR -
The System for Electronic Document Analysis and Retrieval is very similar to the SEC's EDGAR site in the United States: it contains various disclosures filed by public Canadian companies. The documents at this site
are in Word, PDF or Wordperfect format, and the site has both English and French interfaces. Press releases and company profiles are also available.
"La base de données SEDAR contient des renseignements d'accès public, notamment de l'information et des documents déposés auprès
des commissions des valeurs mobilières par les sociétés ouvertes, les organismes de placement collectif et d'autres tierces parties reliées qui
sont tenus de déposer électroniquement des documents d'information continue et autre information." Dans des documents soyez disponible dans Wordperfect ou PDF
formate, et l'interface est disponible l'anglais et le français.
• Toronto Stock Exchange -
The official web site of Canada's premier exchange. Besides offering quotes, this site also lists all options (if any) that are traded on a particular stock, as well as some brief information
about the listed companies: address, phone, logo, chief executive, fiscal year end and date listed. There's also some general information about the exchange and listing requirements.
• Yahoo Quote -
For some Canadian companies, the Yahoo Quote Server offers earnings estimates and news article in addition to quotes and charts. However, there are no profiles like there
are for US stocks.
Charts and Quotes
• Canstock -
15 minute delayed quotes and 12 month charts for Canadian stocks. This site also offers real time quotes and many other services for a fee, and they have
a free trial subscription available. To get a quote or chart from the relevant page, enter the ticker, a space and then the exchange code (e.g., XX T for Toronto).
• PC Quote Canada -
Yet another site with quotes. This one has real-time quotes available too (for a fee).
• Quote.com -
This site is primarily known for its US quotes, but it also offers Canadian data, including nice charts.
• Stock Tools -
Has Canadian stock quotes,including historical stock quotes going back one year (includes open, high, low, close and volume).
• TD Waterhouse, CA - Access and manage your investment accounts online with TD Waterhouse's WebBroker.
• Yahoo - have begun to carry Canadian quotes. I'm not going to list them all here, because that would be rather redundant.
Overviews of Industries
• CIS Classic -
Provided by the Canadian government, this site lists all sorts of statistics for various Canadian manufacturing sectors. It's heavy on the numbers, fairly light on narratives.
Private Company Information
• Canadian Patent Database -
Find out which (if any) patents a company has in Canada. Doesn't provide a description, but does provide the filing date, name of inventors, etc.
• Canadian Trade Index -
Directory of 25,000 Canadian manufacturing companies. Includes fairly detailed product information, in addition to the address, telephone and
fax numbers. Searches can be done by company or by product, so if you want to know who in Canada manufactures a particular product, this is a good
site to use.
• Frasers -
Has limited information about thousands of Canadian companies (more detailed information is available in their books and CD-Roms). This site provides
name, address, phone, businss description and category.
• Marketing Magazine -
Has a searchable archive, and thus this site might be very good when researching a Canadian company.
Another gem here is the market share studies that they have for a variety of sectors. Data for 1996 and 1995 are provided. Very good if you are researching
• National Pollutant Release Inventory -
Find out what pollutants a Canadian company has released. Search by company, location or pollutant. Creates a graph in Java as well.
"Notre page d'interrogation simple et ses nombreuses listes à servir utiles vous permettent d'obtenir rapidement et facilement de l'information détaillée sur une installation ou de l'information sommaire
sur une substance, un emplacement ou un secteur industriel. Si votre navigateur soutient Java T, un diagramme du sommaire des données apparaîtra."
• Strategis Company Information -
Guide to chartered companies in Canada. You get the old name, address, registration date, directors, and parent/subsidiary information. This
site requires you to register, but registration is free. Fairly extensive database.
• Thomas Register -
While this directory is best known for its information about US companies, it also includes Canadian companies. Data include name, address, phone and detailed product
information. The directory has a total of 155,000 companies, but I don't know how many of those are Canadian.
Bien que cette base de données soit meilleure connue pour ses informations sur les compagnies américaines, elle inclut également les compagnies canadiennes. Les données incluent le nom, l'adresse, le numéro de téléphone
et l'information de produit détaillée. La base de données a 155.000 compagnies, mais je ne sais pas combien sont canadiens. En anglais.
• Top 300 Private Companies -
Lists the top 300 private companies in Canada, along with their sales, profits and assets (when available), and sector. However, a large number of these companies are
actually subsidiaries of foreign companies which trade publicly, such as General Motors, IBM, etc.
• Accounting Info
• Canadian Law Links
• Canadian Yield Curve (Bloomberg)
• Country Commercial Guide - Adobe Acrobat Required.
• FAO Brief - Country profile by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. (Adobe Acrobat Required.)
• Legal Articles
• Monthly CAD/USD Rates since 1971
• TSE 300 Index Quote
• Canada Business: The Portable Encyclopedia to doing Business with Canada -
[Book -- Amazon]. Guide for doing business with Canada: includes chapters on labor, law, taxes, etc. A full table of contents
is displayed at Amazon. $19.96 (20% off).
• English/French Dictionary -
Has about 75,000 words, and you can go from French to English or vice-versa.
Ce dictionnaire contient environ 75.000 mots, et vous pouvez aller du français anglais ou l'anglais en français.
• Ntc's French and English Business Dictionary - [Book -- Amazon]. Should come in handy if you need to know a French business term.
Other Industry Research Links for Canada
• Advertising • Aerospace • Apparel • Automotive • Chemicals • Computers • Construction • Electronics • Energy • Financial • Food • Health • Machinery • Media • Metal • Paper • Restaurants • Services • Shipping • Tobacco • Trucking •
General Industry Research Links for Other Countries
• Argentina • Australia • Austria • Bahrain • Belgium • Bermuda • Bosnia • Brazil • Bulgaria • Chile • China • Colombia • Croatia • Cyprus • Czech Republic • Denmark • Egypt • Estonia • Finland • France • Germany • Greece • Hong Kong • Hungary • Iceland • India • Indonesia • Ireland • Israel • Italy • Japan • Jordan • Korea (South) • Latvia • Lithuania • Luxembourg • Malaysia • Malta • Mexico • Morocco • Netherlands • New Zealand • Nigeria • Norway • Pakistan • Peru • Philippines • Poland • Portugal • Romania • Russian Federation • Saudi Arabia • Singapore • Slovakia • Slovenia • South Africa • Spain • Sri Lanka • Sweden • Switzerland • Taiwan • Thailand • Turkey • United Kingdom • United States • Venezuela • Vietnam • Zimbabwe •