• BritishExporters - Website database of over 18,500 verified UK Exporters. Includes 2,500 catalogue pages. CD-ROM database of 1.1 million UK companies. (Registration is required.)
• Commerce Net - Has 25 various magazines: Commerce Magazine, Commerce Magazine Scotland. Sells directories and various industry guides. Their magazines tend to favour the middle market.
• Corporate Reports - [Fee-based] service that claims to be "the definitive site for UK Company Annual Reports and Accounts."
• FT.com - Website for one of the premier financial newspapers in the world (Financial Times). Much of the data provided is free but many of the articles and reports require a subscription to FT.com.
• FT500 - From Financial Times, the 2006 list of the top 500 companies in the UK based on market capitalization. (Requires Adobe Acrobat.)
• Hemscott - Information on publicly-traded British companies. Information provided includes address, sales, profit, business lines, officers and excerpts from annual reports. (Registration is required.)
• Hoovers - Brief profiles of approximately 4,200 UK companies. The first 10 are provided free but the remainder require a subscription.
• InvestEgate - Claims to be "the most comprehensive online source of announcements from UK quoted companies, allowing you to view all regulatory and other published information in one place."
• London Stock Exchange - Website for the London Stock Exchange. Provides free market data and [fee-based] company profiles.
• Merger & Acquisition Headlines - This page contains a long list of one or two-lined synopses of recent British acquisitions. This is a good place to go if you need to find out what acquisitions a British firm has recently undertaken.
• MoneyExtra - Market data, company annual reports and business news is provided free of charge on this comprehensive website.
• Northcote -
Links directly to the section of a company's home page where you can get financial information, so this site carries no data itself (well, they do have SEDOL numbers): just links. I normally don't link sites like this, but they've
done a pretty good job: you can search, and they also have alphabetical and sector indices.
• TrustNet - This company's "service is aimed at private investors and Independent Financial Advisers and covers UK collective investment funds. They offer completely free access."
Price and performance data is provided daily for all funds, where available (sourced from Financial Express and Thomson Financial Datastream). Fund profile pages are filled with information collected and collated directly from fund management companies by TrustNet's own Data Team. News feeds are supplied by Incisive Media.
• UK Business Park - This database organizes companies by broad based sectors. Users can retrieve a list of the largest companies in each
sector, and companies are ranked by sales. This site also provides a table with the most recent earnings and sales and other announcements from
companies within that sector. This seems to be fairly complete, and is a good place to look if you want to know major news events for an industry, or for a company (you can search by company).
• UK Company News -
Has a variety of features, including information about IPOs in the UK (most IPOs are listed on the Alternative Investment Market, or AIM). They also have information about upcoming
IPOs (name, sector, estimated value, sponsor, date, method of issue). The Alternative Market Review contains news about some smaller companies on AIM. This site also has summary information
about some of the larger British firms.
• Yahoo Finance - Yahoo now offers quotes for all UK stocks, including bid, ask, open, close and volume. It also offers a profile of the company.
• Ulster Business Top 100 - Another page with the top 100 in Northern Ireland, but this list seems to have little resemblance to the list at the abovementioned site. This site provides the address,
number of employees, date founded, turnover and pre-tax profits, and ownership information.
• Daily USD/GBP 1971-1989 - Data provided by the Federal Reserve.
• Daily USD/GBP 1990-1999 - Data provided by the Federal Reserve.
• Daily USD/GBP 2000-August, 2006 - Data provided by the Federal Reserve.
• FAO Brief - Country profile by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. (Adobe Acrobat Required.)
• FTSE 100 Index Quote - Data provided by Yahoo Finance.
• Key Performance Indicators - The Department of Trade and Investment provides economic data for the manufacturing sector.
• Rates and Bonds - Yield curve information provided by Bloomberg Marketdata.
• U.K. Law Links - Website for LawMoose World Legal Resource Center.
• US State Department - Background Note: United Kingdom - Profile provided by the Bureau of Public Affairs division.
• GAAP 2000: UK Financial Reporting and Accounting - [Book -- Amazon]. Details of the accounting standards in use in the United Kingdom. The main stock market indicator in the UK is the FTSE 100 index, which is short for the Financial Times Stock Exchange 100 Index. As its
name implies, there are 100 companies in the index, which are weighted according to their market capitalisation. The basis for this index is 1,000, for December 31, 1983. This
index was established by the Financial Times, the London Stock Exchange and the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries.
A list of the companies in the index is available
Other Industry Research Links for United Kingdom
• Advertising • Aerospace • Apparel • Automotive • Chemicals • Computers • Construction • Electrical • Electronics • Energy • Financial • Food • Furniture • Glass • Health • Machinery • Media • Metal • Paper • Railroads • Recreation • Restaurants • Retail • Rubber • Services • Shipping • Steel • Telecommunications • Tobacco • Trucking •
General Industry Research Links for Other Countries
• Argentina • Australia • Austria • Bahrain • Belgium • Bermuda • Bosnia • Brazil • Bulgaria • Canada • Chile • China • Colombia • Croatia • Cyprus • Czech Republic • Denmark • Egypt • Estonia • Finland • France • Germany • Greece • Hong Kong • Hungary • Iceland • India • Indonesia • Ireland • Israel • Italy • Japan • Jordan • Korea (South) • Latvia • Lithuania • Luxembourg • Malaysia • Malta • Mexico • Morocco • Netherlands • New Zealand • Nigeria • Norway • Pakistan • Peru • Philippines • Poland • Portugal • Romania • Russian Federation • Saudi Arabia • Singapore • Slovakia • Slovenia • South Africa • Spain • Sri Lanka • Sweden • Switzerland • Taiwan • Thailand • Turkey • United States • Venezuela • Vietnam • Zimbabwe •